My job was to help direct Magic fans, as they solved puzzles that earned them entry to the Magic’s After-Party. As I interacted with the gamers and other workers, I learned that PAX culture is very unique!I learned that there is a code…
Along with Snowshoe, my booth companion and unofficial Magic mascot, I took pictures, made friends, and enjoyed unravelling the subtle code of conduct by which PAX thrives. Perhaps this code is written down in a manual or handout somewhere… For as I learned,
1. PAXers like to know the rules. If something comes with a manual or rule book, they will read it.
2. PAXers have impeccable manners! Say what you will about geeks and social skills; 90% of the people I talked to said “Please” and “Thank you” and “Excuse me.” None of them called me “ma’am,” though, because…
3. Gamers transcend gender. If you have to guess if someone is male or female, you’re probably guessing wrong. Just don’t worry about it; treat everyone as equals!
4. Comfy shoes are a MUST at PAX; you walk miles & stand in long lines. (Platform stiletto boots are really cool, but will transform you from hot goth chick to limping, groaning zombie girl in about an hour.)
5. Wear a real costume. A hat is not a costume. Neither is a medical face-mask (You just look like you have the flu.)
6. If it’s August, maybe save the big furry animal/monster costume until Halloween. Because: hot!
7. People in costumes WANT you to ask for their picture! That’s why they put so much time & effort into their ensembles! But do ask, because taking someone’s picture on the sly is always creepy. .
8. Stay in character! (But within reason, of course. Good daddies will always pause an epic battle to take a call from their little princess!)
9. Couples costumes! (As a GoT fan, I had a visceral urge to slap Prince Joffrey… Argh, he’s such a jerk! Lol!)
10. Big weapons look cool, and then you get to carry them for 5 hours.
11. Kids’ costumes! Ohmagersh, mini-gamers are the cutest. And you’re a cool parent for doing this!!!
12. Chain-mail looks cool, and then you get to wear it for 5 hours.
13. Gamers smoke a lot! Come on guys, you know you can’t really buy health?!?
14. Femininity comes in all shapes and sizes! And it’s beautiful, no matter what! Revere it.
15. At the end of the day, find some-bunny to snuggle, and get rest. For tomorrow is another day to game on.
See you next year, PAX!
Stylespygirl & Snowshoe
Follow Snowshoe’s adventures on Instagram, as she travels around the country!
Search for #snowshoe.
4 thoughts on “Seattle Part 1: What I Learned at PAX”
OH MY GOSH. This is SO YOU. I am so glad you got to help out with this. I expect you to attend as an awesome super-hero game goddess next year!
Lol, Aunie! I kept asking them, “can I wear a costume next year??” It was such a blast! Hopefully I can help again next PAX. In medieval or sci-fi garb, of course! 😉
What fun you had! I just started watching Heros of Cosplay and fell in love with it! I love the detail and commitment!
Thank you, Denise! I truly had a blast. 🙂 Everyone was so helpful & friendly! It was a wonderful experience!